To collect data at the individual plant/system level and build tools to
aggregate and analyze interconnected energy systems at regional and national level.
The global energy data is organized into 4 "Categories", each subdivided into "Types"
- POWER PLANTS: (Types = Coal, Gas, Geothermal, Hydro, Nuclear, Oil, Solar PV, Solar Thermal, Waste and Wind)
- FUELS AND RESOURCES: (Types = Oil and Gas Fields; Coal and Uranium mines; Crude Oil Refineries; Solar, Wind and Biomass Potential; CO2 sequestration, Water Resources)
- ENERGY TRANSMISSION: (Types = Oil and Gas Pipelines; Coal, LNG, Oil Ports; Rail and Road links; Shipping Lanes; Electric Power Grid)
- ENERGY CONSUMERS: (Types = Industries, Population, Economic Activity, Towns and Cities)
Data for each "Type" is further subdivided by
- State/Province/Region (primary geographical division within a country)
Data for each individual infrastructure system is displayed
in a formatted factsheet with the following modular structure (See Help and Glossary files for details)
- IDENTIFIER: Name, IDs, overall ratings, and user selected default currency
used for all money related/cost data on this page
- LOCATION: Precise Geo-spatial location using Google tools. Users can also add
polylines for establishing links and polygons for showing footprint and impacted areas
- DESCRIPTION: This module contains a number of data fields that describe the plant
- UNIT INFORMATION: Captures information on the different units that make up a system. For
each unit we also record the year in which emission control and monitoring devices were installed
- ASSOCIATED INFRASTRUCTURE: Table of individual infrastructure units related to this system.
This is a menu driven facility to allow users to either link to data already in GEO or add a note.
All placemarks, polylines and polygons marking a units and its associated infrastructure
are displayed using API to Google Maps in individual factsheets.
- ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES: This table captures the category of the environmental
issue and a short description of it (1000 characters)
- MAJOR UPGRADES: This table captures a short description of major upgrades (1000 characters),
their cost in selected currency and the years over which the upgrade was accomplished
- OWNER AND OPERATOR INFORMATION: List of owners (with percentage share) and type of ownership,
unit operators, and regulatory authority
- ANNUAL PERFORMANCE: Annual performance figures arranged by decades for ease of view. This
module includes a facility to plot selected data-fields versus years
- COMMENTS: Table of comments (each up to 1000 characters)
- REFERENCES: Table of references (each up to 1000 characters)
- NOTES: Caveats, clarifying notes, abbreviations, and system of units used